Sinha assassination: Testimony begins on the second day in the fourth phase

 Ctg Desk |  Wednesday, September 29th, 2021 |  9:57 am

In the fourth phase of the murder case of retired Army Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, the testimony of the second day witness has started with the unfinished interrogation of Hamzalal.

Cox’s Bazar District and Sessions Judge’s Court Public Prosecutor (PP) Faridul Alam said the testimony began at 10:15 am in the court of District and Sessions Judge Mohammad Ismail.

He said witness Hamzalal would first be cross-examined by the lawyers of the three accused, including OC Pradeep’s lawyer. Journalists Faridul Mustafa Khan, Baby Begum and Mohammad Saleh Ahmed have also been produced in court for testimony.

Earlier, the first phase of the case was witnessed from August 23 to 25. The plaintiff in the case and Sinha’s sister Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous testified and witness No. 2 Sahedul Sifat, who was in the same car with Sinha at the time of the incident. Later in the second phase, four eyewitnesses testified in four days. In the third phase, 6 people have testified so far in three days. The testimony of 69 more people including the 15th witness will be taken in the case.

At 9:30 am on Wednesday, 15 accused in the case, including OC Pradeep, were brought to the court from Cox’s Bazar District Jail in a prison van under tight police guard.

PP Faridul said the court had so far issued notices to 29 out of 83 witnesses in the case. The plaintiff and witness number 2 of the case testified in three days from August 23 to 25. In the second phase of the case, the testimony of four eyewitnesses has been taken in four days. In the third phase, eight eyewitnesses, including the autopsy doctor, took testimony of Sinha’s body in three days.

Retired Army Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan was shot dead by police at the Shamlapur check post in Baharchhara union of Teknaf upazila on the Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf Marine Drive road on the night of July 31 last year.

On August 5 last year, Sinha’s sister Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous filed a case against nine policemen, including former Teknaf Police Station OC Pradeep Kumar Das and former Baharchhara Investigation Inspector in-charge Liaquat Ali. Liaquat Ali was made the main accused in the case. The court was given the task of investigating the case.

Six days after the incident, seven policemen, including OC Pradeep and Inspector Liaquat, surrendered.

The police filed a case at Teknaf police station and another at Ramu police station.

The RAB later arrested three witnesses in the case filed by the police and three members of the Armored Police Battalion (APBN) on duty at the Shamlapur checkpost. Former Teknaf police constable Rubel Sharma was later arrested. Former ASI Sagar Deb of Teknaf police station surrendered before the court on June 24.

On December 13 last year, RAB-15 Cox’s Bazar Battalion’s then Assistant Superintendent of Police Khairul Islam filed a chargesheet against 15 people.

On June 27, the court framed charges against 15 accused. It was witnessed by 83 people.