Sinha murder case: Testimony begins on the last day of the fifth phase

 Ctg Desk |  Tuesday, October 12th, 2021 |  8:08 am
Sinha murder case: Testimony begins on the last day of the fifth phase

Testimony on the last day of the fifth phase of the murder case of Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan has started. On the last day, the court proceedings started with the 32nd witness Lt. Col. Md. Imran Hasan.

At around 9:30 am on Tuesday (October 12), 15 accused in the case were brought to the court from Cox’s Bazar District Jail in a prison van under tight police guard.

Prosecutor and Public Prosecutor (PP) of Cox’s Bazar District and Sessions Judge’s Court Faridul Alam said the testimony in the Sinha murder case has started through Lt. Col. Md. Imran Hasan, the 32nd witness in five cases. Testimony of 9 witnesses will be taken in phases.

Other witnesses are ASI Nazrul, SI Md. Sohail Sikder, Sainik Hira Mia, Md. Shahid Uddin, Md. Nabi Hossain, Md. Abul Kalam, LS Abu Salam, Constable Shubh Pal.

Retired Army Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan was shot dead by police at the Shamlapur check post in Baharchhara union of Teknaf upazila on the Cox’s Bazar-Teknaf Marine Drive road on the night of July 31 last year.

On August 5 last year, Sinha’s sister Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous filed a case against nine policemen, including former Teknaf Police Station OC Pradeep Kumar Das and former Baharchhara Investigation Inspector in-charge Liaquat Ali. Liaquat Ali was made the main accused in the case. The court was given the task of investigating the case.

Six days after the incident, six policemen, including OC Pradeep and Inspector Liaquat, surrendered. The police filed a case at Teknaf police station and another at Ramu police station.

Later, RAB-police arrested 3 witnesses in the case and 3 members of Armored Police Battalion (APBN) on duty at Shamlapur check post. Former Teknaf police constable Rubel Sharma was later arrested. Former ASI Sagar Deb of Teknaf police station surrendered before the court on June 24.

On December 13 last year, RAB-15 Cox’s Bazar Battalion’s then Assistant Superintendent of Police Khairul Islam filed a chargesheet against 15 people.

On June 26, the court framed charges against 15 accused. It was witnessed by 63 people.