Two siblings were killed in a fire that broke out at their house in Chattogram city on Monday night, officials said on Tuesday.
The deceased were Minhaz Uddin, 12, and his two-and-a-half-year-old sister Ruhi Aktar, children of Mohammad Idris Mia.
The fire originated at the house of Idris in ward no 4 under Saral union in Banshkhali upazila at 10:30pm when the family was asleep.
The blaze soon engulfed two adjacent houses. All the family, except Minhaz and Ruhi as they were in sleep, managed to come out.
‘The fire originated from an electrical short-circuit. Being informed, the firefighting unit reached the spot. They, later, recovered two charred bodies from the house,” said Nuru Bashar, team leader of Bashkhali Fire Service and Civil Defence.
Confirming the death news, Banshkhali Police Station SI Dipak Kumar Sinha said an unnatural death case has been filed.